Saturday, December 1, 2007

Rating: *** 2005 Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon - Paso Robles, CA

Find Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon pricing and retail availability here.
 

Updated review Dec 1, 2007:
It's almost a year since I first tried the 2005 Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon. My reactions about color and aroma are consistent. On the palate, though, the year has done some interesting things. The palate has widened and actually intensified. I do pick up some lithe chocolate and very ripe blueberry, like a compote. I still wish there were a bit more tannins in the backbone, but I am going to kick the rating up a half notch to three stars out of five. This is mostly because a little bit of character is beginning to emerge and I do want to see what this is like in another year.

Plus, it's such a charming, inoffensive wine. That's both the good news and the bad news...

Original review Dec. 23, 2006:
Deep purple brick color, moving slightly towards opaque, pumping out a concord grape jelly aroma into the room. Up closer, the deeper black cherry and currant of cabernet become just a bit more apparent, along with an appropriate touch of oak. Not distinctive yet.

To the palate, medium bodied, hot, a touch acidic, with crisp fruit and only the tinest hit of any tannins whatsoever. Almost too smooth for a 2005 cabernet. Where's yer attitude, man?! Two and a half stars out of five.

You can read about other wines from this 4 Seasons series here.


Find Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon pricing and retail availability here.

2 comments:

  1. I just received an email from 4 Seasons and this wine you reviewed was on the list. The intro price to me is $59.88. Shipping should most likely be no more than $15-20 was this your experience? Do you know if this is a legitimate winery or are they just slapping on made up winery labels. Like another place I know? Just curious. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, purple...
    From my full post here:
    http://spiritofwine.blogspot.com/2007/11/4seasons-4-seasons-wine-deal.html

    you can see that 4 Seasons wines rated between 2 and 3+ stars for the wines in the intro kit that I purchased. That's outstanding value at $6-7 a bottle. My offer included shipping at a slightly higher price, so I cannot say what their separate shipping charge would be.

    By the way, this is NOT a winery. They are merchants and marketers, not winemakers. But, hey, you're talking $6-7 a bottle! WineInsiders is another deal I assessed here:
    http://spiritofwine.blogspot.com/2007/12/review-wine-insiders-wine-deal.html

    It was not really the same quality level overall, though still decent for $5 a bottle price-point.

    ReplyDelete