Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Rating: **+ 2004 Houghton Shiraz - Western Australia


Review: a young shiraz from the lesser-recognized Western region of Australia. Quite purple in color, medium dark. Aromas are of piercing smoked oak wrapped with dark fruits. Interesting, and suggestive of a pretty acidic taste. On the palate, it is actually minerally and clean, I guess you might say "flinty" - though that's seldom a word I would use with a red wine. But it IS flinty, with a quick clean finish. The notion of flint also links the aromas together. Not quite enough guts for my taste, but interesting. So an interesting, flinty red shiraz that, basically, I'm ok with if I don't ever drink again. That's 2+ stars.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like we use a similar wine rating system only you use stars and I use corkscrews. Free clipart I stumbled across!
    Like your site and see that we review similar wines, at least pricewise. Check my site at http://www.365corks.com and let me know what you think and if you'd like to swap links. Take care.

    ReplyDelete