Friday, March 23, 2007

Rating: ***- 2002 "Two Buck Chuck" Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon, CA

Find Cheap California Cabernet  pricing and retail availability.

Review: OK, I'm actually doing it - tasting notes for a "Two Buck Chuck" - that notorious bottle of Charles Shaw wine sold at some Trader Joe's grocery stores for $1.99. But for an emerging series of drinkable "practically free" wines, what could be better? Now, the buzz tells me that the cabernet was generally the best of the Charles Shaw series, and 2002 the best of recent cabernets. Sticking to my commitment not to intentionally taste bad wines here, I'll give that one a try.

So, here goes: The color of the 2002 "Two-Buck Chuck" cabernet sauvignon is a dark transparent red. A creamy fruit aroma lifts from the glass, but spiked with just a touch of cauliflower and pickle. Very round in the mouth, a clean berry fruit with touches of acid. Really no tannins to speak of to ground it or give it lift. But pleasant. Not memorable. But who could say unpleasant? Gosh, is this me giving it three stars?! I hope lightning doesn't strike. This doesn't mean it's special (that's why it's got a minus), but it does mean I'd actually knowingly drink it again.

Find Cheap California Cabernet  pricing and retail availability.

No comments:

Post a Comment