Thursday, June 7, 2007

Mollydooker Tasting Dinner - 2006 Vintage


Wow. What an extraordinary opportunity this was.


An "opening night" premiere tasting of 2006 Mollydooker reds paired with the company of winemakers Sarah and Sparky Marquis and a fine dinner of salmon and kangaroo.

Arranged by Brian Pasch at the Cask 591 Restaurant in Long Branch, NJ, the tasting and dinner went off without a hitch and seemed to be thoroughly enjoyed by the 80 or so guests in attendance.

I had an opportunity to review a total of 13 Mollydooker wines, linked below. I did these as "LIVE Reviews". What on earth is a live wine review, you may rightfully ask? Well, as I tasted and dined, I tapped out reviews on my PDA, emailing them right onto the Blogger site. Seemed to work pretty well. I hope I wasn't too obnoxious to my dining companions.


Listing from most to least favored, here are the wines I sampled at the 2006 Mollydooker Tasting Dinner and links to the live reviews (any photos were posted later):

2006 Mollydooker Velvet Glove Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2005 Mollydooker Carnival of Love Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker The Boxer Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Carnival of Love Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Enchanted Path Shiraz/Cabernet, McLaren Vale, Australia

2002 Shirvington Cabernet Sauvignon, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker The Maitre D' Cabernet, McLaren Vale, Australia

2007 Mollydooker The Violinist Verdelho, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker The Scooter Merlot, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Goosebumps Sparkling Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Two Left Feet, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy Shiraz, McLaren Vale, Australia

2006 Mollydooker Gigglepot Cabernet, McLaren Vale, Australia

BIG CAVEAT: My thanks to Greg and his comment about the Gigglepot Cabernet, which reminded me to add this caveat to this posting. At some point during the evening (the later posts by timestamp), I believe my nose and palate had entirely desensitized to more subtle aromas and flavors. (Gee, it's possible that had something to do with all the 16% alcohol wines we were enjoying!) In addition, some of my tasting notes were done in the midst of dinner conversation. You can tell those by overly truncated notes. As we were sampling just one ounce pours of each wine in many cases, three or four interesting sentences of conversation could have drowned out an entire vintage -- pleasant for me, and more courteous to my dinner colleagues, but not fair to the wines. I feel that the Mollydooker wines that were not Shiraz-based
, especially, may need another trial. I noticed that my ratings for cabernet-based wines and blends (ie, Two Left Feet, Maitre D') were inconsistent and lower than from the 2005 vintage, for instance. Oh, well, so little time, so many wines...

No comments:

Post a Comment