Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rating: ***+ 2005 Cusumano Benuara

Review: As I have mentioned, I'm not very familiar with Italian wines. I am a great fan of some California and Australian syrahs. But I must say, I had no idea what a pairing of syrah and nero d'avola grapes from Sicily would yield. That's what this Cusumano Benuara is.

I enjoyed this wine at a dinner prepared by chef Don Pintabona of Dani Restaurant of New York City (formerly of Tribeca Grill). The wine was served with an extraordinarily delicious rabbit cacciatore with light polenta. The excellent food may indeed have added to my enjoyment of the wine.

The aroma was round, even and full of deep berries and plums. On the palate, this lived up precisely to the aroma, yielding a deep, even, round mid-palate, with just a touch of licorice. The finish was even and long. What a nice overall experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment