Sunday, June 3, 2007

Visiting Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards Tasting Room, Solvang, Santa Ynez Valley, CA

This visit was part of our brief expedition cruising Santa Ynez Valley.


In the town of Solvang, one of the stops I made was the Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards tasting room, having heard a bit about some of their award-winning Bordeaux-style varietals from this region. (Partly, I was also interested in testing out my thesis about Miles' "Sideways" claim.)


I was surprised to see a selection of cabernet sauvignon and cabernet franc here, along with a very surprising petit verdot. Syrah and pinot noir were available too, of course, but I would have expected that from this region. Not a merlot in the house.

I did a reserve tasting of wines at Lucas & Lewellen, which included a keepsake (non-crystal) wine glass.

Listing from most to least favored, here are the wines I sampled at Lucas & Lewellen:
2003 Lucas & Lewellen Cote Del Sol Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Barbara County, CA
2001 Lucas & Lewellen Cabernet Sauvignon, Valley View Vineyard, Santa Barbara County, CA
2003 Lucas & Lewellen Syrah, Santa Barbara County, CA
2004 Lucas & Lewellen Petit Verdot, Santa Barbara County, CA
2003 Lucas & Lewellen Pinot Noir, Hilltop Vineyard, Santa Barbara County, CA
2004 Lucas & Lewellen Cabernet Franc, Santa Barbara County, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment