Sunday, June 3, 2007

Visiting Presidio Vineyard & Winery Tasting Room, Solvang, Santa Ynez Valley, CA

This visit was part of our brief expedition cruising Santa Ynez Valley.

In the town of Solvang, I made a beeline to the Stolpman tasting room. While there, I inquired about other wineries in the area that might make notable syrahs and pinot noirs. I was pointed to Presidio, with which I was unfamiliar. Since the tasting room was just down the street, how could I resist?

At the Presidio tasting room, just as at Stolpman, I was met by knowledgeable managers. Their organic and biodynamic approach to farming grapes west of the Santa Rita Hills was well described.


Then I moved on to tasting the wines. For a modest fee, a complete tasting plus a keepsake Riedel crystal glass were provided. Top notch pinot noirs and syrahs were among the wines I sampled. No distinction was made in my ratings to account for these more challenging farming practices - these were simply some outstanding wines!

Listing from most to least favored, here are the wines I sampled at Presidio:
2005 Presidio Artistic License Estate Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County, CA
2004 Presidio Syrah, Hallauer Vineyard, Santa Barbara County, CA
2005 Presidio Pinot Noir, Estate Bottled, Santa Barbara County, CA
2004 Presidio Sangiovese, Hallauer Vineyard, Santa Barbara County, CA
2006 Presidio Gewurztraminer, Monterey County, CA
2004 Presidio Artistic License Estate Syrah, Santa Barbara County, CA
2004 Presidio Port, Amador County, CA
2003 Presidio Interlude, Napa, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment