Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Review: 4Seasons wine club offer (4 Seasons)


Find pricing and retail availability for Burley Fox (one of the best values from 4 Seasons) here.

Original Review, November, 2007:

With some trepidation, I tried a 4 Seasons wine club (also called 4seasons) for a case lot for under $100 U.S. including shipping. I tried a case of six different reds and whites, two bottles each. The club offer came with an estate-style table-top cork remover. It also came with an ongoing subscription to the 4Seasons club, which I chose not to continue.

The reds I tried and linked reviews are as follows:

Rating: ***+ 2004 Burley Fox Shiraz - Limestone Coast, Australia
Find Burley Fox at WineZap.

Rating: **+ 2005 Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon - Paso Robles, CA
Find Chateau Andrea Cabernet Sauvignon at WineZap.

Rating: ** 2005 Chianti Villagiachi - Italy
Find Villagiachi Chianti at WineZap.

Here are the whites:

Rating: *** 2006 Oakton Lane Chardonnay, San Luis Obispo, CA
Find Oakton Lane Chardonnay at WineZap.

Rating: *** 2006 Villa Masetti Pinot Grigio, Venice, Italy
Find Villa Masetti Pinot Grigio at WineZap.

Rating: **+ 2005 Heritage du Chateau Touraine Sauvignon Blanc, France
Find Heritage du Chateau Touraine Sauvignon Blanc at WineZap.

(Please comment if you have tried any of these reds or whites.)

Based on the reds and the price paid, I would say the introductory case was good value. At significantly higher club prices plus added shipping costs, I would rate the ongoing Club fair value.

There was no difficulty in terminating my club subscription.

-------------------
ps, here's another wine deal I have rated: the Wine Insider's deal

-------------------
Updated Note, December 30, 2008: Please see comments to this post before coming to any decision. Others have had more difficulty with cancellations than I had.

Find pricing and retail availability for Burley Fox (one of the best values from 4 Seasons) here.

17 comments:

  1. so how much was the shipping??
    ansd why is there no contact info on their web sitre? How does one reach them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine1234: Shipping was included in cost, so I cannot say what it was separately. The lack of contact information troubled me too. That's why I entered this deal with some concern. However, their email customer service number (provided with order) was rapid in its response to end the subscription.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you cancel your subscription after receiving your introductory order ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, cancellation was easy by email. I received a fairly quick confirmation and have not seen any problems with subsequent credit card billings or the like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received this offer in the mail and am considering giving it as a gift (recipients are not connoisseurs). Do you think it's appropriate? Any other better suggestions for wine bundles as gifts?

    Also, if anyone wants to check it out, the URL given in the mailer is www.4seasonswine.com/ff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, not a bad deal overall. Figure they're decent buys at around the $10 or so U.S. level. If the deal is at or below that price (I can't click through your link without a customer number), it would be fine as gift for the non-sophisticated wine drinker. Generally better than a lot of other inexpensive wine I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. apparently they can't ship to Washington state...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The previous offer expired and I found this new offer link here
    www.MarvellousOffers.com/Wine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay away from them!! The person who says it was easy to cancel was lucky. I called to cancel the subscription but they sent a shipment anyway. Called them again to get approval for return. They sent me the Fed Ex label, the package was sent back, they received it. They sent me invoices requesting payment anyway, and now 3 months later they are threatening with sending my name to a collection agency if I don't pay for that shipment, even though there is a tracking number showing they received the package in August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Art111,
    Thanks for the heads-up and warning about cancellation. I did a cancellation by email and asked for an email confirmation. 4Seasons did send me a confirming email.Sounds like their telephone cancellation cannot be trusted tho.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know if you saw this one, I subscribed to it, they have a Free Shipping Wine Club for $149. They send one case every 3, 6 or 12 months. Cancellation is simple and they have live reps. The wines I got were 4 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Sauvignon Blanc, 4 bottles of Miura Hudson's Carneros Pinot Noir, and 4 Wattle Creek Shiraz. All of these wines retail for significantly higher prices and the wines were awesome. you can find it at wines.com.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cancelled and was assured a refund... still no refund, they could not deliver when i was home...
    this has been going on since September they are ignoring my e-mails and the girl on the phone gets testy to say the least, 800-842-4050 just called to verify before posting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good wine... I had to cancel because I was being posted overseas for close to a year... Cancellation was no problem at all.. Just came back and registered again with them... can't wait for my selections to come in... at $86.00 including s/h for 12 bottles of decent wine it is a deal ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately, I've also read that they have a lot of customer complaints due to random billing charges and some of the promised wines not even being delivered :-( I'd avoid them right now too until they can get things sorted.

    You can read about it here: 4 Seasons Wine Club Review

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've subscribed to 4Seasons for nearly two years now and have been very pleased. I am not a connoisseur by any means but I enjoy wine and enjoy sharing it with friends. This program provides a convenient and decently priced way to do this and to experience different types of wine from around the world that I would otherwise be unaware of. They also send some information about each wine including where it's from, background on the winery and the grape(s), how long to wait before drinking, and what types of food to drink it with; all of which I find very interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter just signed up for the introductory case. How many ounces are in each bottle; there is no way of telling in the pictures or on line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are full-sized 750 ml wine bottles. I found it to be a fully legitimate offer.

    ReplyDelete