Saturday, December 15, 2007

Review and Rating: **+ Regis Forey Nuits St. Georges, 2005, Cote de Nuits, Burgundy France

Review:
I am drinking this Forey Nuits St. Georges well before its time. But let's see what it offers:

In the glass, it is a deep transparent burgundy color. The aromas are of bright, deep purple, reminding me of the sort of purple nose I'd get in a vintage Beaujolais, perhaps like Brouilly. A more seasoned burgundy expert ASSURES me, however, that the aromas of this vaulted (and costly) pinot noir are "NO SUCH THING" as the aromas of that ill-regarded (and cheaper) gamay grape which makes up the Beaujolais wine. Still, I know what I'm smelling.

On the palate, the resemblance to Beaujolais disappears. The primary sensation you notice are long, silty tannins coating the mouth. The faint fruit is there somewhere too, but you need to push through the silt to find them. Interesting experience in that regard. Seems to need LOTS more time. Two stars with a plus because, frankly, though I wouldn't hurry back to this now, I'd be curious in ten years. But not a good value for the price, which is at the connoisseur level. (Think of all the money I'm saving you!!)

The Burghound was similarly non-committal about this wine, awarding it 87/89 points and saying, "This is riper with distinct earth and underbrush notes adding nuance to the mélange of darker fruit aromas and full, round and fleshy flavors that possess excellent volume and plenty of punch. The firm tannins are well integrated and while this won't win any awards for elegance, it's a quality villages."

Find Regis Forey Nuits St. Georges at WineZap.

No comments:

Post a Comment