Thursday, February 26, 2009

Review and Rating: ***+ $ R. H. Phillips EXP Syrah, 2004, CA


Find EXP Syrah at WineZap. 


Original Review, January, 2008: The R. H. Phillips EXP Syrah is actually a blend of grapes from California... for 2004, it includes 76% Syrah 10% Petite Sirah, 8% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot. It is aged for 12 months in American oak.

In the glass, the EXP is dark red/mahogany, a bit lighter at edge. It pushes out a brilliant, bold, perfumed aroma of inky black cherries, wholly distinctive.

On the palate, bright clean berry fruits are the first sensation. A touch of oak comes in, along with some acids on the truncated finish. Very nice, except for the fast goodbye. Three stars with a plus for the awesome aroma. Great value.

Updated Review, February, 2009: Colors and aroma have held fast. On the nose, there is a bit more plum pushing out than I noticed a year ago.

The berry fruits are there - they form the base for a clean, round middle. Light, nice acids, even finish. I'm still good with the three stars. With the extra age, I don't quite still see the plus for aromatics, but a solid three stars still. That continues to make EXP Syrah an extraordinary value.


Find EXP Syrah at WineZap.

3 comments:

  1. I think this wine smells bad now, but it tastes better than it smells. I was surprised when I tasted it, because I thought it couldn't possibly taste good, since the smell gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. Ugh. Hate it when wine smells like kerosene or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it doesn't really taste good, either. It just doesn't taste HORRIBlE. It's hard to get down, and nauseating.

    Maybe wine sellers should lower the price of their wine a little sooner, so that more will sell, and be used and not go to waste, before it gets like this. I would hate to be in the wine business, and know that people were sad when they tasted my wine. I would rather be happy, knowing that it was enjoyed. I got this at Grocery Outlet, at 20% off, dirt cheap, in Salem, Oregon. I get lucky there sometimes. I think it cost me about $3. So, not a great loss, but what a shame that it's pretty much rancid now! A waste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about the specific bottle YOU got, but mine (just standing in front of me) is just one of the best Syrahs I've had for that price... Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete