Tuesday, May 12, 2009

** $ Cono Sur Pinot Noir, 2008, Valle Central, Chile - Wine Review and Rating

Check out Pinot Noir at Amazon

Review: Like Charlie Brown's attempts to kick the football that Lucy always pulls away from his foot, I keep trying to find the elusive value-priced pinot noir. Consider Cono Sur my latest attempt in this so-far-mostly-futile effort.

I will mention that I did enjoy the Veranda Pinot Noir from Chile. But, two caveats: the Veranda hails from a different area; and sells for about twice the price of the Cono Sur.

So, let's see what the Cono Sur offers... In the glass, it is light, even, ruby red - glistening, pretty, but not suggestive of depth.

The nose is promising - though distinctly un-pinot-noir-like. It is light, bright, almost buoyant - like a fresh new beaujolais.

Sipping, you notice a twang of pinot noir strawberry and a touch of lemony acids. It brings these bright flavors to the center of your palate, then fades fast to a high-pitched, light finish. Not objectionable, but not a worthy contender in my search for the "world's best value pinot noir". Two stars out of five on the Spirit of Wine scale. My hunt continues...

Find Cono Sur Pinot Noir at WineZap.

1 comment:

  1. I found this bottle at Whole Foods - it's considered a "green" wine. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete