Friday, May 1, 2009

**** Pu-erh Tea, Yunnan Province, China - Review and Rating

Explore Pu-erh Tea at Amazon

Review: Let's consider something in the non-wine category today: Pu-erh tea from the Yunnan province in China creates a deep, dark brew, much the color of coffee in the cup.

I get mine loose, from The Tea Farm. I use about one tablespoon for eight ounces of boiled water, steeping for just over five minutes.

Aromas are earthy and woody - a walk through a New England forest after a September rainfall. Yummy.

On the palate, the earthiness slides into a deep, lightly-funky robe of silt - quite creamy and robust. I could drink this for days. Four stars because - once I am in a tea-drinking mood - I could not be tempted to veer from this selection.

Pu-erh is a unique tea in that it is known to grow even richer, smoother and more robust with age. I've got a pound or two in the basement now - I may need to add to the stocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment