Wednesday, July 29, 2009

***+ $ Dr. Loosen Bros. Riesling, 2008, Mosel, Germany


Review: Dr. Loosen Bros. Riesling is a value-priced riesling, one whose prior vintage - 2007 - I just reviewed and enjoyed a great deal. This is the newly-released 2008 vintage of the Mosel valley wine from Germany.

In the glass, I see the same transparency as the 2007, with what seems like a touch more yellow. Served cool, the aromas are grapefruity and grassy, with a spritz of lemon.

On the sip, there is a more viscous, oily sweetness than the aromas led me to expect, followed by a clean salinity. A touch of acids as you come towards the finish. It does wrap up a bit sweeter than I might have liked, just a touch less crisp.

Three stars because I would return to it, and I'd like to see what some age will do to it.  I'm adding a star because it's already quite gorgeous.  Awesome value, just like the 2007.

Find Dr. Loosen Riesling at WineZap.

No comments:

Post a Comment