Sunday, February 20, 2011

*** $ Barefoot Pinot Noir, California - Wine Review and Rating

Find Barefoot Pinot Noir at WineZap.

By way of background: Now I'm definitely "taking one for the team"... this is an UNDER $6 PINOT NOIR. Gulp. I arrange my headset, adjust my goggles... time to plunge in...

Barefoot Pinot Noir is one of the bargain varietals in the California Barefoot line. We've reviewed a few of these before. The pinot noir hails from mixed California vineyards and is finished at 13% alcohol.  It is non-vintage-dated, but I'm guessing 2008.

Original Review, December, 2009:

In the glass: Barefoot Pinot Noir is light to medium red, with a slight brick overtone.

On the nose: Poured without a decant and swirled vigorously, you get a strong fruity, almost beaujolais-like aroma. Think red raspberries and helium balloons (the balloons part usually blows off after awhile in the glass).

On the palate: A simple, pleasant, frontal layering of pleasant, red fruits. They cascade lightly along your tongue, bouncing off the sides and back of your mouth.

And the finish: Fast and clean. Period.

In summary: Pleasant, simple, simple, simple. This would be nice with a light pasta meal. Two stars with a plus for pleasant on the five-star Spirit of Wine scale.

Following a long decant:

On the nose: The nose has gone silent.

On the palate: Consistent here, the red fruits are perhaps a little drier on the attack - that's nice, with rounded edges.

And the finish: Fast, not offensive.

In summary: This was still in good shape after the long vacuum decant. Suggests it may be nicer with a year or two age on the bottle. Doesn't have the stuffing for longer, though.
---------------

Updated Review, over a year later, February, 2011:  Color has held fast, picked up no further brick overtones.  Aroma shows the bright raspberries now, no helium whatsoever.  On the palate, the fruits and light acids have knit together nicely.  The tone is a full, mid-red, berry-based experience, not complex, but pleasant and with acids to hold up to food.  Don't store longer (this is an estimated two and a half years from vintage).  But rating just touches three stars now, making it a best value in a "practically free" pinot noir. 

Find Barefoot Pinot Noir at WineZap.

1 comment:

  1. This wine has completely offended and my girlfriend. As we try to indulge ourselves in a glass of this....wine....I find myself wanting to stab my eyes out with a blunt object. When I put this wine up to my nose and took a whiff it managed to sneak its way into my sinuses and caused me to spill it all over my clothing. Barefoot should use a little less feet...because thats what this disgusting wine tasted like....feet rubbed down with rotten grapes.

    ReplyDelete