Saturday, June 12, 2010

Navarra wines - outstanding promise for a region still exploring its identity

Find prices and retail availability.    


I had the opportunity to try several wines from Navarra, Spain, this week.  What were my takeaways?  First, this tight region of northern Spain has some really good prospects.  Situated in lattitude between Rioja and Bordeaux, it is still searching for a secure identity.  From a heritage of garnacha(grenache)-based rose wines(called rosado), it has found its way into a much more diverse offering, which includes classical dry red varietals like tempranillo, cabernet sauvignon and merlot.

Based on my (admittedly limited) exposure, I found that the dessert wine based on moscatel (small berry muscat) grapes is extraordinary, and the classic rosado is also a compelling and unique offering.  Aromatics were outstanding in the merlot and meritage offerings I tried as well.

So, I will keep an eye on the region and watch its evolution into what I'm confident will become among the top tier of gl

obally-recognized wine-making areas.   Special thanks to Catherine at Balzac Communications for suggesting a Spirit of Wine focus on Navarra.

Here are the current Spirit of Wine individual wine reviews and articles from the Navarra region.

Find prices and retail availability.    

No comments:

Post a Comment